Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Happy 60th Anniversary to "The Twilight Zone"

Birthdays and anniversaries are, of course, important. They are the landmark events that help define who we are. Why else would we got so upset when someone forgets "our" day?

With that said, I would be remiss if I didn't take a moment to recognize the anniversary of one of my greatest influences as a writer. On October 2, 1959, The Twilight Zone premiered on CBS with an episode entitled "Where Is Everybody?"

The rest is history. Suspenseful tales, twist endings, and a strong sense of morality that, if not an explicitly Christian worldview, was at least was compatible with it. There were some episodes where Rod Serling could have easily used Galatians 6:7 as his closing narration:

Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.

That is the vibe that I go for in my stories...a worldview where evil gets it's just desserts in the end.